Saturday, March 10, 2018

Live Edge Walnut Console Table

I'm jumping on here to say hello, and share a couple things I've been up to lately.  I recently purchased seven live edge slabs of wood.  I don't know about you, but I'm totally on the live edge furniture lover train!

So far, I've built a Console Table and a Coffee Table.  Both of them have matt black steel hair pin legs.  These legs give the tables a sleek modern look, and really allow the unique wood slab tops to shine.  




For the console table, I started by removing all of the lose bark with a chisel.  I do think that the live edge tables with bark are really cool, so I'm going to try and leave some on the table then next time I make one.  The only problem is that there is a lot of dirt and lose material, so it can be more tedious to clean it, than to just remove it.  


Once the bark was off, I used a low grit sanding paper, and sanded down all of the rough wood with my belt sander.  From there, I just started to increase my grits until I reached a 150 grit on my belt sander, and then I moved on with my palm sander.  I started with 150 grit, and moved through to 180 and finished with a 220 grit.  The walnut is already a nice hardwood, so 220 on this is just gorgeous!  


 This is what the slab looked like with just one coat of satin Polyurethane!  Already gorgeous!



I wiped on a total of three coats.  And I couldn't be happier with this beauty!  I purchased matte black hair pin legs to give the table that sleek midcentury modern look!



I did all of these same steps for the coffee table!  I love them both and seriously cannot wait to make the rest of my slabs into gorgeous furniture! 







Thanks for visiting here today!  I hope you enjoyed the photos and learning about the process!  I love live edge furniture!  Are you crazy about it as well?  Have you ever made anything out of it, or want to try it?  I would encourage you to!  No one else out there will have the same piece as you!  It will be a true one of a kind piece of furniture!

If you're not the woodworking type and would like to discuss having a custom built piece made, please email me at rustiquerestoration@gmail.com.

I hope you have an awesome day!  Thanks for stopping by!

xo Jen

4 comments:

  1. Where did you purchase the legs for the table in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. El-Gallo is a woodworking company. They make different types of wooden things such as wood tables, wood bowl, wooden bangles bracelet. They also make their natural wood coffee table and wood slap table in excellent design and material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Live Edge Walnut Console Table embodies natural beauty and rustic charm with its unique live edge design. Crafted from walnut, it exudes warmth and character, making it a striking addition to any space. Its organic form and rich wood grain elevate the aesthetic of entryways, living rooms, or hallways, adding a touch of sophistication to the decor. visit us



    ReplyDelete