Monday, April 29, 2013

Old End Table, New Look!

Good Morning!  I am excited to share this piece today!  I had so much fun with it and I'm so excited to take it to my new space.. 
So I scored this awesome solid wood end table a couple weeks ago, and I instantly knew that it had  awesome potential!  


Anytime you fine a good wood top, and some nice turned posts, and the right price, GRAB IT!

I came up with a plan for it.  Cream base, distressed, and a nice wood top!  So I sanded the top down really good with 150 grit sand paper.  The next step was to paint the bottom, so if I got any paint on the top, I could just sand it right off! :) 

I mixed up my own homemade chalk paint using water, cornstarch, and wall paint.  This is an awesome way to achieve a similar look to chalk paint and it's extremely affordable!  I found my recipe for this on someones blog the other day, and I can't find it now!  So when I do, I'll post her site for you!  So the recipe is as follows:

For the Paint

1/4 cup water
4 tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 cups paint

Make sure you stir the cornstarch and water together first and really blended.  Then add your paint color of choice!  It's so simple and easy!  You can find my recipe for the stain here.  Just an FYI, I left my vinegar mixture in the jar for a couple months, and the finish came out much darker!  So if you want the lighter greys and browns, give it just a couple days to sit.  If you're after the darker stain like you see below, give it a couple months! 

 

I had distressed the legs on this table.. I wanted to give it a rustic chic look.  

 I am really happy with how it turned out!  I hope you'll give these paint and stain recipes a try!  It's so handy to have under the sink, just waiting for your future projects.. Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment